The World Social Forum: Free Palestine is taking place in Porto Alegre, 28 November to 1 December, an event that has the potential to raise the level and depth of the international Palestine solidarity movement.
The World Social Forum: Free Palestine aims to:
- Show the strength of solidarity with the calls of the Palestinian people and the diversity of initiatives and actions aimed at promoting justice and peace in the region.
- Create effective actions to ensure Palestinian self-determination, the creation of a Palestinian state with Jerusalem as its capital, and the fulfilment of human rights and international law, by:
- Ending Israeli occupation and colonization of all Arab lands and dismantling the Wall;
- Ensuring the fundamental rights of the Arab-Palestinian citizens of Israel to full equality;
- Implementing, protecting, and promoting the rights of Palestinian refugees to return to their homes and properties as stipulated in UN resolution 194.
- Be a space for discussion, exchange of ideas, strategizing, and planning in order to improve the structure of solidarity.
World Social Forum events are open, self-organised meeting spaces where social movements, networks, NGOs and other civil society organisations come together to develop their thinking, debate ideas democratically, formulate proposals, share their experiences freely and network for effective action.
The World Social Forum: Free Palestine will be focused on solidarity with Palestine and building connections between the Palestinian struggle and global justice movements around the world. It is not a conference – it is a process of global mobilising, networking and strategising and planning of joint action of which the 4 days event in Porto Alegre is a crucial moment of gathering and implementation.
The core of the program of the World Social Forum: Free Palestine will be the actions, conferences, workshops, cultural events that each participating group will organise during the event – the “self-organised events”. Registration for organisations is open now, closing on 15 October 2012. Individual registration will open on 15 October 2012.
Scottish PSC and the Boycott Israel Network, together with many organisations across Europe and internationally, are mobilising for the World Social Form: Free Palestine.
We appeal to you to:
- Ask your organisation / trade union branch to endorse the call for the World Social Forum: Free Palestine
- If possible send a delegate or delegates from your organisation to participate in the program
- Consider attending yourself, if possible by getting sponsorship from local contacts / organisations
- If you cannot attend, make a donation toward sending a delegation of UK activists so they can participate in the World Social Forum: Free Palestine and report back to you, your organisation / trade union branch
- Ask your organisation / trade union branch to send a message of solidarity to the
World Social Forum: Free Palestine
For more information contact:
Europe supports the World Social Forum Free Palestine
Charter of Principles of the WSF process
Call for the World Social Forum Free Palestine
November 28 – December 1 2012, Porto Alegre (Brazil)